Frenchman' Bay Library was started in 1948 by a group of Sorrento and Sullivan residents who wanted to share books. It was initially located in two rooms of the Belle Allen house and was operated as a small lending library.
Later,in 1990, it received a bequest that enabled it to expand to its present size. It is now located in the Sorrento-Sullivan Recreation Center and is open fifteen hours a week.
The Sorrento-Sullivan Recreation Center, where the library is now located, also contains the Sullivan-Sorrento Historical Society a Community Room for small meetings, and a large hall used for Beano games, wedding receptions, and other public and private events. A new community-built playground and skateboard park are located next to the building.